Favor Number One:
...and this is the really more important one, but also takes a little effort. I just did it (and timed myself)...it took 7 minutes. Can you beat that time? I O U a beverage if you can (let me know on comments below). Deadline is end of day TOMORROW, August 31st, 2012.
Can you please cast a vote for Literacy Bridge to present at TED 2013? Your vote could mean the difference in whether dozens of the poorest villages get access to our Talking Book program.
My friend Cliff Schmidt was invited to audition for one of the world’s most prestigious and influential conferences: TED. In four minutes, he summarized Literacy Bridge’s work, and now TED is looking to online voters to determine whether he will be invited to speak at TED 2013. This opportunity would give Literacy Bridge far more exposure than they've ever had, which will enable them to expand their impact dramatically.
If you are willing to help, here is what I’m asking you to do:
Brief Version (see detailed instructions below if you have trouble):
1. Sign up for a TED.com account here: https://auth.ted.com/users/new?referer=http://www.ted.com/profiles/edit(you can skip the profile page after submitting name/email/password)
2. Watch the 4-minute audition here: http://talentsearch.ted.com/video/Cliff-Schmidt-On-demand-access
3. Vote ("Rate This Talk" on the same page)
4. Comment (on the same page) --- this is as important as the vote; please leave a quick note.
5. Recommend on Facebook (on the same page).
6. Please tell all your friends to do the same!
That's it! Thank you so much!
Here are the detailed instructions if the ones above don't work for you:
1. Sign Up for an account on TED.com: https://auth.ted.com/users/new?referer=http://www.ted.com/profiles/edit
You will need to:
a) Fill in first name, last name
b) Email address
c) Provide a password
d) Agree to the terms of service
e) Fill in and pass the "Capcha" test
After you fill in the info and click on "Submit" button, you may be presented with a screen to enter Profile info. You can skip this page if you like and go right to the video link below.
2. Watch, Comment and Rate the Video:
a) Watch the video at http://talentsearch.ted.com/video/Cliff-Schmidt-On-demand-access
b) Add a comment –what you write will help TED decide who to invite
c) Rate the video:
- On the right side of the screen, there is section titled "Rate the Talk".
- Click on the stars under "Rate on Content" and "Rate on Presentation Style"
- Make sure that the stars that you click on become bigger, that is the sign that your rating has registered.
3. Click the Facebook "Recommend" Button Under the Video (Optional)
This is not the official rating. It just helps a bit to spread the word via Facebook.
4. Ask Your Friends to Watch/Vote Also!
Thank you for helping Literacy Bridge get in front of a global audience.
and now for the more self-interested Favor Number Two:
Yup, its that time again....vote for one or more of the SXSWi proposals my name is on. You'll find them here and here. I'm undecided which I'd rather do, they would both be really fun. Last day to vote is, of course, tomorrow, August 31st, 2012... and if either gets accepted and you're there, I'll also be happy to comp you a beverage :). Not bribing, just saying thank you.